Friday, June 25, 2010

Without Adequate Words, Without Adequate Service

"I have just been 800 feet underground....I have just gone through something that should not exist in relation to human beings. Something that is as remote as the galaxy, incomprehensible as a nightmare, and beautiful in spite of everything."-Ansel Adams after experiencing Carlsbad Caverns


Today Kt and I went to the Carlsbad Caverns and toured the natural entrance and Big Room. I cannot find words enough to explain the feelings that repeatedly washed over me as we experienced more and more miraculous things in the cave. Though we took what seemed to be 200 pictures, I know they will not do it justice, but will hopefully serve to remind us of how small we felt in such a grandiloquent place. Approaching the entrance was possibly one of the most wonderful things I have ever seen. It seems that almost out of nowhere a giant crater is revealed that appears bottomless. Looking back up at the entrance while we could still see the natural light was emotional in a way I can't explain. Perhaps I will try again tomorrow.

The KOA we are staying in is fabulous. Nice bathrooms, nice people, nice isolation and nice hairy tarantulas (I'm not making that up). Tomorrow we leave for the Grand Canyon and it almost seems incomprehensible to imagine that the beauty we will see will continue to awe and amaze us. While Kt's technological devices seem to be serviced nicely out here, mine remain off while they search for a signal they can't find. If a beacon of service returns on the road I will update with pictures.

6 states, 5 days. Tomorrow marks our 7th state.


No comments:

Post a Comment