Thursday, June 17, 2010

Books, bears and more bears (oh my!)

While my packing list looks like this, my book list is much more extensive. I have gathered a few book suggestions from NPR's various lists and a few suggestions here and there. So far on my list are:

Garlic & Sapphires by Ruth Reichl
The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shafer & Annie Barrows (read about 4,000 recommendations for this book. It doesn't sound like something that I would ordinarily choose, but so many recommendations got me thinking.)
Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls (Author of The Glass Castle)
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman
The Kingdom of Ohio by Matthew Flanning
**Rilke on Love and Other Difficulties by Rainer Maria Rilke
**The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall

With the exception of the starred books, these books have been narrowed down by their availability at the West Palm Beach Public library.


Books already in my possession to be read are:

The Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery
Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant by Janine Ferrari-Adler

Any reviews or recommendations for books to avoid on this list or others to add?


In other news, I'm preparing for a bear attack. I have planned to be attacked by Grizzly bears, Black bears, rogue Kodiak bears who've wandered down from Canada and Polar bears. In preparation I have been practicing my evasive tactics on Lil Wayne (the cat not human). Thus far, I've managed to escape him successfully, but not without a few wounds. I fear a bear mauling may be slightly more damaging than a Weezy scratch. Then again, maybe not.

All worn out from my evasive bear attack techniques

For those who have strong stomaches and can handle a little blood, google bear attacks in the images. You won't be disappointed. I just threw up. Twice.

We leave Monday. Get crunked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment