Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Guest Blogger: Kt

We left NOLA around 11:30 after grabbing another cafe au lait and headed towards I 10W. Our plan was to stop in Baton Rouge for lunch but it quickly changed and instead we headed for the riverfront where Kt promptly summed up Baton Rouge with one word: snore. As I continue driving west, Kt reflected on our trip thus far. Here are Kt's words:

My mind is full and seems to be leaking words. What do I expect to experience in the coming weeks? I’m not quite sure. I look forward to not knowing. Up next: Houston. Then, it’s off San Antonio to see the Alamo which will be followed by Carlsbad, New Mexico to see some of the most famed caverns in the world. Flagstaff, Sedona, and the Grand Canyon will be next… Day 3 and it seems like we’ve been gone a month and a day at the same time. It still doesn’t seem real. Light rain threatens our view of Louisiana’s heartland. It’s bare anyway.

More than anything I can’t wait to see the desert. I appreciate it’s wonder better than I did a few years back, but I know my knowledge of it will be nothing compared to what I’ll see with my own eyes in a few days. I’m overflowing with anticipation. Will it be what I expect? I have a feeling it’ll be infinitely more. It makes me smile with the excitement of a child taking his first trip to Disney World. Except I’ll see more sand and less creepy adults dressed like treasured cartoon characters.

New Orleans was magnificent. My favorite part was seeing the Mississippi. I think of it’s significance in time and in my life. It makes me feel small in a good way. My first impression was one of amazement. ”THAT is a river.” I dipped my toes in it. What else will my feet touch along this journey? The sands of the Painted Desert, the Pacific Ocean, the fallen leaves of the redwood forests…

Welcome to Texas!

We just crossed the state border and the rain has graduated to a watery blizzard. I’ve never been to Texas, have I? Childhood memories of a family trip to Oklahoma play hide-and-seek with my recollection. Either way, we just passed a livestock weigh station. Yep, we’re in Texas. See you in a couple hours, Uncle John!

In just a few weeks we’ll be home and this journey will be over. But in a way it’ll just be starting. My memories and reflections of this trip will last my whole life. Pictures I can only take in my mind are what I’ll hold dearest. Talks with old and new friends, strangers from our stops and with my own thoughts will serve as my tour guide along this path that I’ll likely only travel once. And that’ll be enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment