Tuesday, May 25, 2010

So I was Thinking....

This seems to be the way most conversations at my house are beginning these days. Either Kt or I walk in the house after school, or from running errands and greet with each other with, "so I was thinking about our trip and....". Our musings have ranged from new places to stop, things to see, easier routes of travel, or "genius" ideas for saving money. My best of these plans so far has been to visit colleges and universities along the way hoping to get free meal tickets (I still maintain it's a fabulous idea).

UC Berkeley's Campanille and Reflecting Pool by Memorial Glade and Doe Library, AND my future alma mater.
Credit: Bonnie Azab Powell

Though we anticipate many changes and are prepared to be flexible, we have semi-finalized our map! As you can see through Kt's handy-work, the pink flags = camping, green flags= hotelling/friending, and yellow flags = stopping. Orange is used for our beginning point and final destination (creepy). It feels good to have a tangible form of all our planning in plain view as we discuss the upcoming the weeks.

Please ignore the radiant glow that is emitted from the glory of our map.

My school's graduation was last night and as I sat watching my students proudly display their tasseled mortarboards, I was filled with pride for their accomplishments and reminded of the overwhelming feelings of freedom and fear that encompassed me when I walked across that stage. Though I'm quite removed from that scary and exhilarating place of transitioning between childhood and semi-adulthood, I felt myself identifying with those excited and apprehensive seniors. We are both about to experience the world around us affecting it, as it continues to shape, mold and affect us. That's one mind blowing, living-the-imagined-life thought. I only wish Pomp and Circumstance would play as we drove into each city. Maybe I can arrange that...
It's a big country out there. I can't wait to see it.

My high school's graduation was far less exciting and grandiose than this, but this just seems to exude so much excitement I had to use it. Not sure who these people are...I'll give photo cred to: senileramblings.blogspot.com



2 comments:

  1. Soooooo excited! I am in love with my country (now) and want to see it ALL! We've got big plans, Amilli. Big plans...

    ReplyDelete
  2. can you please add a green flag to nashville?!! you won't regret it. :)

    ReplyDelete